Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentines?

Well hello there!

I think it must be about time to question another public holiday type thing, this time one that doesn't really annoy me deep down, but moreover one that causes me to become very introspective and therefore quite selfish, moody, and generally depressed.

For the background as to this rant, please check out this little site here, which gives a fair opinion as to the original beginnings of this Valentines day "celebration" - I say day but now big business has a death grip over the proceedings, it's now a Valentines weekend, and in some places a whole week of Chris DeBurgh on VH1 and TMF... (exceptional viewing I assure you!)

Now, once again, I'm not against the practice of giving "love tokens" (are these like book tokens? only redeemable in certain places and before a certain date? -ed) however, surely if one was truly, madly deeply in love, would the idea of only giving one such token seem a little pathetic? Surely true love would be embodied in a lifetime of dedication and bestowing of blessing?

The particular part of St Valentines day that I have a tiny little pixie of a problem with, is the sheer smugness of those people that receive a valentines gift from someone. Again, the idea of receiving something in itself is not a bad one, though it would appear from my observations that people are almost getting into a "can you top this" competition, of
-my mate got me this...
-so?! My bloke got me this...
-well my partner got me this...
-well my boyfriend got me this...
-WELL, MY LOVER gave me THIS!
etc etc...

And then it comes round to the person who is crying in the corner embittered with rage because their boy/girlfried split up with them 2 days before Valentines and cancelled the flowers...

I'm well aware that I've done it again, and by "it" I mean ranted for a fare old while without actually saying a lot... but hey, this isn't for you people, it's for me to vent...

[listening to :- again, colleagues...]
[contemplating :- the concept of "me time", surely all time is me time unless explicitly given to someone else?]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home