Thursday, November 03, 2005

2 in one tonight... aren't you lukcy?!

I remembered something that I heard about yesterday. It was the absolutely ridiculous concept of Lamworth Council not calling the Christmas lights they were putting up, “Christmas lights” instead they were to be called “Winter Lights”. The reason for this new wording was because they didn’t want to offend the non-Christians.

“Hmm…” says I. Does that mean therefore that they’re going to stop Muslim women wearing the all over black dress number? I’m not being factitious (if that is even how you spell it) but so far no-one has considered that the “Christian” contingent might be offended by the sudden expectation that they should tolerate all this petty bullying? Nick Ferrarri, possibly the worst Morning show DJ I have ever heard actually said something of use, as hard as it is to believe, when he said that there would not be a single Jew or Muslim who would have a problem with the Christmas lights being called such. It’s a touch worrying if you ask me.

But then if you look at it from the other side of the coin. Christians shouldn’t have a problem with the council removing Christ’s namesake from the more commercial aspects of the upcoming festive period. Christians should however have kicked up a serious fuss when they proposed to outlaw the preaching of the Word of God, through the Hate literature and Religious Intolerance rubbish that recently got rejected in the House of Lords. (By a majority of 149 I might add) But why should Christians settle for this rubbish that we are being given…? Granted, we should respect the Authorities that God has put in place over us and respect the laws of the land. And to what effect would the removal of “Christmas Lights” actually have on the message which we profess? It should have none! This doesn’t affect the message, the portrayal of Christians throughout the land, the unity of the church, or the love of an individual for his or her Saviour.

If anything, by kicking up a stink over this, Christians are saying, in my humble opinion, that the naming of something (which actually means nothing) as something else matters more then something of far greater importance, the preaching of the Word.

I’m sure that I’m not making my point incredibly clearly. And for that I apologise. I will try to collect my thoughts further on the matter and see what I can come up with.

Christian’s should also have kicked up more of a fuss when the majority of chain stores removed the name of Christ from their “festive cards”, opting for “Xmas” cards, instead of Christmas cards.

I can’t help but think that the country has gone a bit politically correct crazy. Whilst I write I feel it necessary to write one final comment on the lights situation. Hindus are shortly to celebrate the festival of light, Divali, therefore by saying Christians are unprepared to saying Winter Lights, instead of Christmas lights, in somewhat shortsighted when people say “There aren’t any other festivals that use lights in the Winter”. Clearly there are. But my initial points remain. Why don’t the Christians say instead of whatever it is they’re saying now, “Here you go, have the lights! Have the trees! Have Santa Clause! Have the little elves and the after season sales! Leave us with the one thing that defines us as Christians. Leave us Christ, born of a virgin, nailed to a cross, risen from the dead, interceding for all believers in Him at His Fathers right hand. Leave us Christ and we will survive as He has promised we would.”

[listening to:- Portishead, Epoymous]
[contemplating:- the rest of the train journey]

2 of 2

Another day another dollar as they say.

Journey home is more cramped then yesterday… oh well eh?!

Ooh, excitement, nearly forgot that’s how exciting it was. I got my “business cards” through the post today. Absolutely ridiculous… they look dead good though. But I’m still not needing them at all. Granted working for yourself has it's benefits. But I don’t need them… at all… still I can show them to Dad and tell him that they cost less then his. Teach him.

I also forgot I’m supposed to be calling both Laura and who else… hmm… this is going to hurt thinking this hard… who else…

It’ll come to me.

So yesterday I downloaded Portishead’s eponymous album. Listening to it now as it happens. It’s quality. I’m going to get more of their music. Maybe even fork out for a full CD one day… I have a voucher…

Speaking of vouchers, I also have a voucher for 10 for Threshers which I may get my parents a bottle of wine with just to apologise for delaying my rent last month, that’d be nice wouldn’t it? I’m sure it would. A nice bottle too. Not a cheap bit of tat that could also be sold to clean engines.

The train I got today was the delayed 17:03! John the minibus driver sped through Croydon at a remarkable rate of knots, which although had me terrified for most of the journey did the job of getting me to the station dead early. There’s still something wrong with the trams. I don’t really know what it is, I’m just thankful for the minibus and the fact that it’s complimentary.

Well, I can’t really think of much more to write at the moment so I’ll leave you all here… have fun reading and you guys had better write back soon!

[listening to:- Portishead as stated above!!]
[contemplating:- sleeping when I get home for once]

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I don't think there is any way you can or should refer to certain Muslim dress codes as 'petty bullying'. They do it because they belive Allah wants them to and because they want to obey him. Many would say that Christians not allowing women to preach or lead churches is 'petty bullying'; indeed the idea that women should stay at home and look after the kids causes feminists to baulk. We may consider disallowing women from showing any part of their body apart from their eyes unfair, but they do it for a reason, which to them (and probably to us) is not petty.

11:33 am  
Blogger mrjohnfernandez said...

I wasn't saying that the fact that Muslim women wearing the shawls was petty bullying, though I can appreciate why you would get that from the way it is written...

The fact that I was trying to point out is that the Christians are never asked how they feel about things. I had interupted one arguement for an aside about the Muslim dress code, and then returned to the original arguement for the last sentence on petty bullying.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you could think that a way someone else dresses would be cause, or even called bullying. But hey, it's not the first time that I've written something that has been taken out of turn and misunderstood.

Thing is Bec that I did write "I'm sure I'm not being incredibly clear" and yet rather then ask me to clarify what I had been writing in a more understandable way, which may well have not included the comment about the dress code, you assumed that what I was writing was the worst possible meaning that it could be...

Apologies for those who misunderstood, please don't burn me at the stake for causing offence, which I doubt entirely that I actually have...

12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home